If you’ve been charged with DUI, you know you’re up against something major. You might lose your license, get fined, or even go to jail. However, while the situation may seem overwhelming, you should not give up hope. A competent DUI attorney will analyze your case carefully to determine the best DUI defenses available in your unique situation.
5 DUI Defense Strategies
There are five common and effective DUI defense methods that an experienced attorney can use to assist you with your case. They include:
- The Argument of Uncertainty. This defense strategy is founded on the idea that the prosecution may be unable to show that the defendant was impaired at the time of the incident. A DUI attorney may skillfully utilize this defense by exposing contradictions in the evidence or establishing that the tests used to diagnose intoxication were inaccurate.
- Driving Did Not Occur. This defense approach states that the defendant was intoxicated but did not commit a DUI violation. A knowledgeable lawyer can accomplish this by demonstrating that the defendant was not driving at the time of the arrest. This might come up, for example, if you were sleeping in your car with no intent to drive it at the time.
- Impairment Unrelated to Alcohol. This defense contends that, even if the defendant was impaired, it was due to something other than alcohol intake, like a medical condition. This can be shown by presenting evidence proving the medical condition or by employing an expert witness to attest to the fact.
- Lack of Probable Cause. This defense approach claims that law enforcement had no reasonable cause to suspect a crime had been committed or that the defendant posed a threat to public safety, so the officer had no right to conduct a traffic stop.
- Improper Field Sobriety Testing. When performing field sobriety testing, police must follow particular protocols. If police officers do not follow these procedures, an attorney may be able to call the testing into question, that the tests were not an accurate indication of the person’s sobriety. Furthermore, if the sobriety tests were conducted in inclement weather, an attorney may be able to argue that the tests were not conducted in a fair manner.
Contact an Experienced DUI Lawyer in Pennsylvania or New Jersey
A DUI is a serious charge that, if not appropriately addressed, may have a long-term impact on your life. You will need an experienced and dedicated DUI attorney to examine your case completely and prepare the best possible defense against the charges.
At The Brookman Law Group, we understand the magnitude of a DUI arrest and the long-term repercussions of a conviction. That’s why we’re dedicated to evaluating your case and fighting for your rights on your behalf. Contact us as soon as possible to get a jump-start on your case. Call (267) 566-5598 for a risk-free consultation.
We target Philadelphia, PA; Camden, NJ; Gloucester City, NJ; Chester, PA; Darby, PA; and the other surrounding communities.